Sunday, November 11, 2007

Through an inter library loan I got hold of Richard Schmid's book, "Alla Prima." Very enjoyable reading and wonderful reproductions of his paintings. He is a strong proponent for creating color charts of your palette... each color in five steps down to pale tinted white and then each color mixed with every other color, one at a time, also down to pale tinted white in five steps. I've never done color charts before. I'm finding it quite an impressive and instructive task. I've been at it for several days now, so the painting is on hold for a moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

I' been following your painting and it's so exciting. What an undertaking! I first saw your wok on the Cenini forum. that was a tough crowd...

If you get a moment, show us your color work from the RS book!

Thanks,
Marsha

Hone Williams said...

The color charts will be a tremendous help. Till now, I've been noodling around with getting a color right... a little of this, a little of that, but perhaps a bit more of another... on and on. With the color charts, I should be able to get what I want with just 1 or 2 mixes... bingo, bango.